'Snow and Sparkle' - card

#LetItSnow #Sparkle #KCShakerChallenge5

Hi everyone, today I'm sharing a card I made for a challenge by Kaisercraft. The challenge said we could make either a shaker card, tag or ornament. I went for the shaker card option! They also mentioned they'd love to see creations using their 'Let It Snow' collection; good thing I had bought the paper pad and flourishes the previous day! XD

I've started using Instagram stories as a platform to share my papercrafting process as I make the card in real-time. They are not as detailed as a video tutorial, but the idea is to show that crafting is rarely a linear process and that it can vary a lot as you create! So make sure to follow me on Instagram! @scrapwithstardust


***

Shaker cards are one of my favourite types of cards to make, they are just so much fun to create! For this card, I used a 5 5/16 inch square notecard (I used a 10 5/8 x 5 5/16 inch piece of white cardstock and folded it in half to make the notecard). For the window panel of the card, I cut a 5-inch square piece of white cardstock. For the window, I cut a 4 7/8 inch square piece of acetate.


For the shaker windows, I die-cut some circles from the window panel (as shown in the image below) you will need to use three different sized circles. Then I cut a piece of patterned paper down to a 4 7/8 inch square, this piece of paper will be the background of the shaker card.


Now, turning over the window panel, I added some double-sided tape to the edges and around the circle and adhered the acetate piece to the panel.


For each of the circle shaker windows, I wanted to add a bit more interest, so I decided to have some wooden snowflakes and baubles on the front of the card. After picking the wooden flourishes (refer to the image below) I painted them white and let them dry; you only need to paint one side.


Next, I added foam tape around the edge of the circles and the edge of the panel (see image below), don't remove the release tape yet. I also added some pieces of double-sided tape to the back of the wooden flourishes.


Now comes the fun part, adding the sequins and glitter! I used silver, white and blue iridescent sequins (all from the $2/bargain stores). I also added some coarse glitter. Make sure there are enough sequins and glitter in each compartment such that if all the sequins move to the bottom when the card is upright, they would still be visible. Only add a pinch of glitter to each! Refer to the image below as a guide for how much to add to each compartment.


Next, I removed the release paper from the foam tape and stuck the patterned paper (which we cut down to 4 7/8 inch square) face down onto the foam tape, try to make sure it is centred (sorry I forgot to take a photo with this step). Now the sequins and glitter should be sealed into the window panel.

Flipping the panel over you should see that the sequins and glitter are visible through the circle windows, and you can shake them around! To finish the panel I adhered the wooden embellishments to the centre of each circle window.


Now to make this panel into a card! I cut another patterned piece of paper down to a 5 1/4 inch square and adhered it to the notecard. Then I added some double-sided tape to the back of the shaker panel and adhered it on top of the notecard so that the top of the shaker panel was aligned with the fold of the notecard. To finish, I added a sentiment to the front of the card using some foam tape.


***

Materials used:

Patterned paper - Paper Pad (KC) {from 'Let it Snow' collection} | Cardstock - Plain {white} | Embellishments - Wooden flourishes: Let it Snow (KC) - Sequins: round {white, silver}, stars {iridescent blue} - Glitter {silver} | Dies - Circles (KC) | Adhesives - Double-sided tape - Foam tape | Tools - Paper Trimmer - Die-cut machine | Other - Acetate - Paint {white}

KC - Kaisercraft
***

I really enjoyed this challenge, and I loved creating with this gorgeous collection! I'm thinking of making shaker cards for Christmas this year, although using different designs. Hope this card inspires you to create! :)


Happy papercrafting!
Shanika :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Explosion box (4 inch cube) - tutorial

'Anniversary flowers' - card

'To know you is to love you' - card